Saturday, September 29, 2012

Poultry Princess Poetry

have too many lipsticks and too many shoes
about, oh…once a month or so, I’m stricken with the blues
so I sit down and I sniffle about babies that are grown
and married children that won’t ever come home
and dogs that I  loved and a cat that I tried
and I hold a washcloth to my face to sop the  tears that I’ve cried
and I BOO and I HOO and I BAWL and I KEEN
and I sob about things, dark, deep and unseen
of people I miss and people I won’t
( they know what they did. Do they care? No,  they DON’T)
and so I cry about THAT and their uncaring souls
and I feel the waves of the tears, how they rack,  how they roll
so, I drip and I snot and I snuffle and blow
and I suddenly notice…hey! where’d the tears go?
they are GONE just like that and the burden is lightened
what WAS I so sad about? so fearful? so frightened?
it’s gone, like a snowball that  melts in the rain
I feel lighter and free-er and lesser the pain
oh, thankful for tears that clean and burn
and thankful to God for lessons I’ve learned
and grateful of all the bittersweet things I may  taste
and bemused by things once important that now, seem a waste
of time and of tears and of love and of sleep
they are not worth the trouble it takes to try to keep
so, I’ve  winnowed them out and find true friends that will stick
and I’ve learned that blood really  isn’t THAT thick
and I think I’ll choose water, cool and sweet
to bathe my soul and wash my feet…
then Clint will come home and kiss me and ask “how was your day?”
and I’ll pause, smile, and think..and truthfully say
“I had a “moment” this afternoon… but now I am fine,
I’ll ask about your day as you asked about mine”
he’ll smile and say back “I had a moment, too
but let’s eat supper and watch Gunsmoke and just know I love you”
and that, dear reader, is how our day will end
this Poultry Princess and her Prince, her husband and  friend

No comments:

Post a Comment